Today was a fairly long and busy day. I started with a walk through the park, it was sunny and crisp this morning, and I spent the rest of the morning in class. After class I went with Tom, a British kid from London, and Judith, a German woman, also living in London, to eat lunch and search for a place to buy tickets to tomorrow nights soccer game between Roma and Parma in the Olympic Stadium. Tom is a big calcio, soccer, fan so he asked if anyone wanted to go. I have been wanting to go see a game, but I know nothing about it, so it is a great oppertunity to go with somebody who knows. Anyway, we couldn't find a place with tickets nearby, so we ate lunch and then walked to the Trevi Fountain to meet up with some other people from class for a walk around the center. The others turned out to be 5 girls from Brazil, and one guy from Florida. I don't know what it is, but there are about 6 or 7 Brazillians in the school, and only 2 of them came here together. They all speak Portugese and it doesn't really sound like anything, like all the words just run together with no real sound or tempo, it's wierd. But they're all cute, so it really doesn't matter to me :) So we walked first from Trevi to the Pantheon, with me leading the way, I totally know my way around that place now :) I finally went inside the Pantheon, my first time this trip. That place is absolutely amazing. It's nearly 2000 years old, but inside it looks like it could be 100. It is one of the most preserved ancient structures in the world, and an architectural masterpiece. Everything is marble, from the floor to the walls, and the ceiling of course is concrete with a 29' diameter hole in the top. It is the thing I most wanted to see when I got here, and it feels amazing to be able to see it now.
So from there we went to nearby Piazza Navona, which isn't all that great right now since they are still cleaning up from the carnival that was held there during the holidays, and Bernini's fountain of the four rivers in the center is being renovated right now, so you can't see it well. The cool thing is that I have nothing but time so I can go see it when they finish next month. Then we went the other direction to the Spanish Steps, were we all got on the Metro, the subway, to head towards home. However, Tom and I continued our search for the soccer tickets which led us across town, and when we got to the place that had them we found out they were closed today, so we have to go back tomorrow after school. So instead we had some pizza and a big bottle of birra. I had a good time with everybody today. I think we are going to have a lot of fun together while we're all here. Taking this class was a very good idea and I'm glad I am doing it. I have met many nice people and made some new friends from all parts of the world (amazingly I don't have any native Italian acquaintences yet), and I've only been here a week. The only thing that s
ucks is they gave us homework today, which I have to do now :( Oh, and by the way, thanks to those of you who have sent emails to me. I will do my best to respond to all of them and I always look forward to hearing from you. Ciao for now.

No comments:
Post a Comment