Tuesday, January 9, 2007

First day of class



Today I had to wake up at 7:30, God I hate that. But, I really want to get this language down so I have to go to school. I had a nice walk there through the park (see pics) and made it on time :) The first thing they did was hand me a test, so I went in the room with the other students, about 20 or so, and answered a 4 page exam designed to assess my skill level to place me in the appropriate class. I think I did O.K. Then I had to go into another room where one of the teachers sat with me and reviewed my test. Then she just started asking me a bunch of questions about me and what I was doing here, all in Italian. I responded the best I could, in Italian, and she decided I could start in level 2. After a long break we went to our respective classes and had about 2 hours of lessons. There are about 8 or 9 students in my level 2 class. They are from France, Brazil, Germany, Japan, England, and Susanville, so it's a pretty diverse group. Every word spoken in class is in Italian, including anything we have to say. It's really cool, and I can actually understand quite a bit. I think I'm going to learn a lot in 4 weeks, it's way more intense than the classes I took at home, and since it's every day for 4 hours (instead of 2 hours every other week) I should remember a lot more. There really is no comparison, this is the only way to go (for those of you thinking about it). Class got out early, around 2:00, so I walked home in a light rain, listening to Marvin Gaye on my iPod. It was invigorating after sitting in a classroom, especially since I was a bit tired and hungry. I stopped in at the little cafe next to my house for il pranzo, lunch. This was my second time there, and both times the food has been great. Not exactly Italian like you may think though, today I had chunks of veal with porcicni mushrooms in an excellent sauce/gravy, it was steaming hot and delicious, especially after a walk in the rain. Last time I had fagioli con salsiccia con polenta, beans with sausage and polenta (like a thick corn based cream of wheat, cut into squares). It was almost like chili (not spicy) with cornbread, and it was wonderfull. It's a nice place to have nearby, especially since they're open until 3:00 when most places like that close at 1:00. I gotta go now, it's late and I have class tomorrow :)

No comments: