Sunday, January 7, 2007

German church, Italian subtitles

So last night Evi was nice enough to cook dinner for her and I, tomatos with mozzarella and pasta, it was very good. One of the things I like about travelling is I find myself doing things I would never have thought I'd do. Mostly just little things, like having dinner in Italy with a German girl while listening to an Aretha Franklin CD (Evi likes her). Allora, after dinner we went to see the silent film. It was shown in a German Protestant church, small by Roman standards, but still roomy, and beautiful inside. The ceiling was arched and covered in gold mosaic tiles, and there was a mezzanine level on three sides. The film was shown on a large projector screen set up in the front. Like I said it was a silent film, in black and white, accompanied by an organ. It was a live performance, and the man playing was up on the mezzanine in the back. I was very surprised by the sound when he started playing. It was loud, not too loud, and it was an amazing sound. The acoustics of the room were great and the sound was crisp and clear and seamed to come from all over. He played everything to go perfectly with the film, matching the characters emotions and the situations, it was pretty neat and unlike anything I've seen before. The film had words written in German and subtitles in Italian, so needless to say I was a little lost! I can understand written Italian better than spoken, but I couldn't read it fast enough to get everything. What I did understand was it was about the Tower of Babel, Torre di Babele, which happens to be the name of the school I'm starting tomorrow, a little ironic I think since I've never heard of it before now. After the film was over everybody gave the organ player a huge standing ovation. We all turned around and applauded him for several minutes while he waved and bowed from the balcony, he was really good. Also, I forgot to mention we met one of Evi's friends at the show. Her name is Charlotte and she's from England. They know each other from the music school here, she's a singer. She is very sweet and full of energy. So after the show we walked to a nearby bar/cafe and had a drink, and I then found myself in a cafe in a beautiful part of Rome with two beautiful girls from two different parts of the world, speaking a mixture of English and Italian, and wondering just how I got there. Just another one of those little things I like about travelling.

No comments: