I know this is the middle of winter, but the weather here has been very nice. We have gotten some rain here in the last few days, but it has all come at night and by morning the sun is out again. Today is especially nice, it is sunny and warm enough for wearing only a t-shirt if you are in the sun or walking around. I went for a walk, fare una passeggiata, in the Villa Borghese, a big park, with Evi and Nana. This is the biggest park in Rome and I think it was established by some of the old wealthy families here. (Sorry but I don't know all the history of these things yet, there is just too much to know, maybe I will take a class on it.) There is a big museum and even a zoo located within the park. The park runs along the old Roman wall that separates the city center, or the original settlement. The park was beautiful and there were a fair amount of people in it. Today is another holiday called Befana. It is like Christmas in that kids hang stockings and wait for somebody to put treats in them, but the person is a witch, a good witch. So, most things are closed again, and they will be tomorrow too since it will be Sunday. It was noticeably quieter on the streets near my house today. Anyway, we had a nice walk and it was nice to see the sites with someone for a change. Tonight Evi has invited me to go to some sort of a silent film that has an organist playing alongside the film. No idea what that's going to be like, but I'm sure it will be interesting at the least, and I will get to wear my new shoes. The last time I went to Italy I needed some new shoes to wear and I let everyone convince me that I needed to wait and buy some "cool Italian shoes" when I got there. So I came here wearing only a pair of boots that I use to ride with. I looked at every shoe store I saw in every city or town I went to and never found a pair of shoes I could stand to wear or that fit, and ended up walking around in boots for three weeks, my feet were dying. So I was out last night just walking around and passed a shoe store. I saw a pair in the window I liked, tried them on and bought them, just like that. Go figure. I really think that in life you can't find what you want when you're looking for it, it just has to find you. So I guess I will continue to wander around aimlessly and just see what finds me.
Saturday, January 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment