Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Questa e' la mia vita

Leaving Rome is always hard for me to do, but I take comfort in the fact that I know I'll be back someday. However, there is so much that I miss about it, like the buzz of the city and the traffic, the historic monuments and remains of ancient civilizations on every corner, and walking the streets for hours just taking it all in, there is always something new to discover. I miss my neighborhood and walking through Villa Torlonia or down Viale Regina Margherita and all the everyday things, like shopping for food in the tiny supermarkets or the small alimentari, getting my haircut by Giancarlo at Studio Uomo, waiting for the 38 bus while the 80 passes by 6 times, or hanging my laundry out to dry in the backyard. Well maybe not so much that last one, I still prefer dryers. I definitely miss the food, starting with the cornetto e spremuta d'arancia in the morning, followed in the afternoon by pizza al taglio or perhaps an arancino e due canolli piccoli, per favore, and the late dinners of veal scallopine, potatoes and a Nastro Azzuro beer, or the excellent risotto with chicken and vegetables made at home by me, buon appetito. I miss the sounds, like the scooters flying down Corso Trieste while I lie in bed at night, or that darn 38 bus finally showing up, or better yet the often heard rumble of a Ducati resonating off the buildings as it passes by, and of course the language. I miss hearing Italian spoken by Italians, even if I never understand everything, there is just something about the flow, the rhythm of the words. I miss speaking it (trying) and actually having someone understand me (somewhat). I can go on, but it just makes me miss it all even more.

2007 was a good year for me. I don't know if I can truly explain the the way I feel about it all, but I do know that it has changed my life forever in the best possible way. I know that most people will never be able to spend the better part of a year just travelling and enjoying life like I have done, and I feel so fortunate to have been able to do these things. The places I've seen, the people I've met, they will all be in my mind and in my heart forever. I never thought I would have friends in so many far away places, but these days I find myself talking to someone in Italy one minute, then Australia the next, it's amazing. I'm so thankfull for all the friends I've made and for all the other great people I've met along the way. They have all added something special to my life in one way or another. To all of you out there, wherever you are, I say Thank You, Grazie, Danke, Efcharisto, Merci, Obrigado, Dank U, and Gracias, you're the best! I can't wait to see you all again.

The world feels a lot smaller to me now, but at the same time it remains infinite and I long to discover it all. Right now I don't know when I'll get back to exploring, but I know that day will come again. My eyes have been opened and I can see much farther than I have ever been able to imagine, and the more I see the more I want to do. For me this isn't the end, it's just the beginning.......

1 comment:

Chelsea Lyn Dilbeck said...

That was so poetic. You are quite the writer, you know that? The sentiment is contagious. I would love to experience Italy someday, after hearing the way you talk about it.
I also completely identify with what you said about the world feeling a little smaller after travelling to another country. It's bittersweet. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with us.