
Another day of waking up in the afternoon and going to the beach, but this time it was on the opposite side of the island at a town called Molyvos. We had talked about going there the day before, but when we got in the car I thought we were just heading to a nearby beach since we got such a late start. Like I said before, I never really know what we are doing until we arrive. First we stopped at a tiny town on the way called Petra where Nikos led me up a bunch of steps carved in stone to the top of a hill to see an old church with a nice view.

He lit a candel, I snapped a couple pictures and we were off, there wasn't much sun left in the day so we had to get to the beach. When we got there it was another stoney beach, but there was also a small building with natural hot springs located inside right on the beach. I swam in the sea a bit and watched some fish below, then I went with Michalis to the hot spring. You get out of the sea, walk a few steps and go inside the building, then there is a small opening into a little cave with a square shaped tub carved into the stone filled with water heated from below ground. At first it was hard to get into the water because it is very hot and I'd just got out of the sea, but once I got in it felt great. The heat really relaxes you and loosens your body, it was nice. After five or ten minutes in the hot water we got out and went straight into the sea again. We repeated the steps another time and by then the sun was almost down so we got back in the car and drove to the town center, but first stopping to take in the sunset.

After taking the wrong street (small path up a hill) and then carefully backing down (only hitting one car) we found a place to park and walked down to the marina for dinner. I ordered the fried calamari which literally took about an hour to arrive. I watched as everyone else finished their food before I even saw mine. However, when I got it it was the biggest piece of calamari I've ever seen, not the little fried things you usually get, but a giant chunk of squid, so guess it takes a while to prepare. It was good, but the fish that Nikos was eating looked much better. He shared the fried sardines with me though and taught me that you're to eat the whole thing, bones and all, only I didn't eat the head.

We were thinking about staying there for the evening since the aforementioned sailboat race was passing through soon and there was going to be another concert or something, but a friend of Eleni had invited us to a party at his house that night in Mytilini, so we drove home to go to that, but it turned out to be a bit boring. Oh well, we had a good day and now I've seen most of the island and yet another nice beach.


No comments:
Post a Comment