I departed Scalea under threatening skies with views of now snow capped hills ahead. I needed to make it back to Rome today to return the bike on time. However it was still a ways away since I lost a lot of time yesterday. Within minutes the skies stopped threatening and started dumping, and I could tell this was going to be another long day. As planned I was trying to stay on the coastal road to avoid the snow in the mountains, but after just a few miles I came to the part of the road that had been closed on the way down, forcing me to take a detour inland into the mountains. The rain continued to fall as I made my way up a small mountain road, then I hit the main highway for a few miles before I could take another road over a small pass and back down to the sea near Maratea. Although it was colder, so far there was only rain. Until it started hailing that is. For those of you who have never riden a motorcycle in the hail, it’s kind of like being in a meteor shower, getting pelted with hundreds of small stones, and amplified by the speed you are moving, which for me was now down to about 20mph. I was still going uphill, and the hail was coming down really hard and was starting to cover the road, so I decided to stop fow a few minutes and wait for it to pass, hoping it wouldn’t take too long. Unfortunately it lasted about another 15 minutes until the road was completely covered in ice.
Saturday, September 8, 2007
Let it snow
I departed Scalea under threatening skies with views of now snow capped hills ahead. I needed to make it back to Rome today to return the bike on time. However it was still a ways away since I lost a lot of time yesterday. Within minutes the skies stopped threatening and started dumping, and I could tell this was going to be another long day. As planned I was trying to stay on the coastal road to avoid the snow in the mountains, but after just a few miles I came to the part of the road that had been closed on the way down, forcing me to take a detour inland into the mountains. The rain continued to fall as I made my way up a small mountain road, then I hit the main highway for a few miles before I could take another road over a small pass and back down to the sea near Maratea. Although it was colder, so far there was only rain. Until it started hailing that is. For those of you who have never riden a motorcycle in the hail, it’s kind of like being in a meteor shower, getting pelted with hundreds of small stones, and amplified by the speed you are moving, which for me was now down to about 20mph. I was still going uphill, and the hail was coming down really hard and was starting to cover the road, so I decided to stop fow a few minutes and wait for it to pass, hoping it wouldn’t take too long. Unfortunately it lasted about another 15 minutes until the road was completely covered in ice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment