After my escape from Palermo I hit the Autostrada just a short distance across the northern coastline to Cefalu. This was another of those small cities that looks absolutely amazing from a distance, with the colors or the stone buildings and tile rooves all blending together and covering the landscape until it drops into the sea. I rode into the center and stopped just for a short time to check out the main church and the seaside. I could tell this was another popular tourist spot, but it was still quiet at the time and very beautiful. I took a short walk by a small beach and saw someone trying to back their car out of a space in the parking lot, but he was blocked in by another small car that had parked crooked next to him. So after a couple attempts at squeezing out, a couple guys just simply lifted and moved the little car out of the way. Somehow I knew I would see that happen someday, bravo.
I left Cefalu and enjoyed my second afternoon of really good riding under the sun. The northern coast is maybe prettier than the southern side, and I was actually riding along the water now too. I got behind a small car, which is always a surefire way to ruin a good twisty road for me because cars are always slow and get in the way, but not this time. Like I said before, some of these Italians can really drive, and this guy was moving. I followed him for several miles just trying to keep up, which I did, but I can only do so much on a rented bike with loaded sadlebags and lousy tires that never really seemed to have much grip, always slipping when I pushed it a bit. It was a lot of fun following him, and besides, I think if I had passed him he would have been all over my tail and maybe chased me off a cliff! Hmm, maybe a faster bike next time.
A little farther down the road after parting ways with Mario Andretti I passed a turn I wanted to make, and when I turned around I noticed one of the saddlebags hanging off the bike. I stopped to examine it and found that the mount had broke. I remember that side was a little shakey before and I think it must have been damaged when a previous renter dropped the bike. So I was forced to empty it’s contents and put the things into the other bag and load up my backpack. Fortunately I didn’t have much in the backpack so I was able to keep everything but my extra pair of shoes. I’d had them for a long time and they were on there way out anyway. They were good shoes and they served me well, may they rest in peace in that Sicilian dumpster. I managed to get the saddlebag to stay in place with a piece of metal from the tool kit and a lot of packing tape that I had left over from the package I mailed previously. I’m glad I noticed it before it fell off and tossed all my things down the road. What could have been a problem turned out to be no problem, and I was back on the road in no time.
I ended the day back in Messina, having made a complete loop, or giro, of Sicily. Messina definitely looked better in the sunshine. I got a room then had some dinner in a restaurant with a Flintstones theme. Yes, the Flintstones. The tables and chairs were actually fat carved wood items that you might see in Fred’s house, and the pizza was good too. The next day it was arrivederci Sicilia, I did it. Riding around this island was something I’ve been thinking about for a long time and I don’t know if it was quite what I imagined it would be, but what would be the point if it was? That’s why I’m doing these things, so I don’t have to imagine, I can live it and then remember it and feel good about what I’ve done. Then move on to the next thing…..
No comments:
Post a Comment